The Ultimate Solution to Cracky Paws!
Why do dogs’ paws get dry?
Dogs require a lot of special care and attention. With the amount of running and jumping they do, it is normal for their paws to get cracked, irritated or even bloody. But fear not! This is very normal. As a dog’s paw is directly in contact with the surface it walks upon, it is bound to get cracked and achy after long periods of running, in rough terrain and especially in cold weather. Dogs are prone to sensitive paws, making them susceptible to calluses, abrasions, and injury. This might sometimes happen due to genetic causes too. To protect dogs’ furry paws, vets recommend a substance known as a “dog paw balm”.
A dog paw balm functions as a protectant from irritants, extreme changes in weather, cracking, etc. It has a wax-like consistency, which moisturizes the area of the paw, seals the wound and prevents the entry of bacteria that might cause infection. It promotes healing and helps the dog play for long periods without the danger of pain, small cuts or toxins
There are many paw balms on the market, however, the following are the best dog paw balms available!
1. Dermo scent Bio Balm Skin Repairing Care for Dogs
The #01 solution for "Hyperkeratosis"
This Balm has the needed moisture to stop and treat hyperkeratosis of the nose, paw cracks and wounds. It also prevents inflammation and does not contain mineral oil. Bio Balm ensures essential durability and moisture.
- This balm is typically designed for the dog’s nose and paws it helps the affected areas to heal quickly and it also prevents it from damaging.
- It is composed of formulas that do not contain mineral oil or petroleum. It only contains several natural, waxy and organic compounds.
- Although, thick paw pads can be very dangerous for the growth of the dog’s nails. Regular application of this dog paw balm will do wonders!
- This dog paw balm is completely made up of natural ingredients.
- This does not contain any harmful substances like petroleum and mineral oils.
- This comes in a jar of 50ml.
- Some users did not appreciate the use of this dog paw balm, they said it contains a very strong odor.
- It was difficult to apply since the smell was very strong and it hindered the user to apply it.
- Many dog owners complained about the dog paw balm that is was not able to make the dog’s paw pad moist.
2. Burt’s Bees Paw and Nose Lotion
The 97% natural ingredients make Burt’s Bees Paw and Nose Lotion very gentle and suitable for all breeds of dogs. It also has specially formulated pH-balanced formula which further helps to prevent dryness and irritation. As the lotion has a thin consistency. It also does not make the paws slippery which might lead to injury.
- Burt’s Bees Paw and Nose Lotion have reigned supreme.
- Recommended by vets and pet owners, Burt’s Bees has been rated very highly.
- Burt’s Bees Paw and Nose Lotion claim to be 100% safe, it is free from all harsh chemicals, sulfates, fragrances, and colorants.
- With the added healing benefits of Olive Oil and Rosemary, this lotion is gentle and soothing and it is free from parabens, petroleum, and other chemicals, it can be used regularly.
- Herbs like rosemary and olive oil essentials are added to make sure the dog paw balm is safe and made from natural ingredients.
- It has a balanced level of ph.
- It is also free from all the harsh chemicals like sulfates, colorants, etc.
- It comes in a favorable size of a 120ml bottle
- A dog owner said this dog paw balm made its dog’s nose swollen and it got allergy.
- Buyers of this lotion expect it to be a little thicker because they say it is an oily and watery substance like lotion.
3. Pet Head Oatmeal Natural Paw Butter
Crafted for soothing cracky paws and broken paw pads!
Specially crafted for soothing dry and broken paw pads. It is a solid–but delicate–formula of calming treatment using shea butter, oatmeal, mango, vitamins E and F, coconut oil, olive oil, and Aloe vera. Only massage your dog’s paws softly and encourage it to return to play!
- This is perfect shea butter which is applied on the dog’s nose and paw pads.
- This dog paw balm is more likely in a form on spreadable sea butter which nourishes the dog’s paw pads and gives them a sense of relaxation.
- Massaging it in the crevices of the paw helps for natural healing and relaxes the dog. It is recommended to apply this butter before going on walks, after long periods of running and as a precautionary measure in cases of frequent drying out in cold weather.
- This balm is made from shea butter, aloe extracts, jojoba, coconut oil and fruits like mango.
- This has an amazing scent
- It comes in a jar which is 59.1 ml.
- It is truly free from harsh chemicals and petroleum
- Some buyers claimed it to be less moisturizing for their pet’s paw pads.
- Some dogs couldn’t resist eating the balm, because it smelled like fruits
- One buyer said that It made its puppy’s paw swollen
4. Particular Paws Dog Healing Balm
Best for healing, soothing and prevents future skin breaks. Added with aloe extracts
This curing dog paw balm has all fresh ingredients such as grape seed oil, Sunflower oil, Aloe Vera, cocoa butter, and tea tree oil. Skin that is scratched or torn is the primary defense of your dog against infections with bacteria or viruses. therefore, it heals, soothes and prevents future skin breaks.
- It allows easier application and absorbing powers, preventing the problem of messy paw prints everywhere. It also does not make the paws slippery which might lead to injury.
- This dog paw balm contains tea tree oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, and cocoa butter along with beeswax which makes it rich in oils.
- This balm contains anti-fungal and itches resistant therapy.
- The biggest advantage is that is purely made from natural ingredients
- It prevents fungus and itching on the paw pads.
- It is very safe for repetitive use.
- Some pet owners made a statement by saying that the balm wasn’t able to satisfy the dog’s paw pad and couldn’t moisturize its paw pads.
- The medicative smell was very strong that is continuously disturbs the dog, letting him feel uncomfortable
5. Paw Soother from Natural Dog Company
100% Organic and pure vegan ingredients are used
Paw Soother is a 100% fresh, herbal, vegetarian organic mix of butter and special vegetable oils. This organic dog paw balm was specifically designed to treat rough dry dog paw pads. this paw soother is also suitable for “hairy foot
- It comes in the size of a stick and is easy to carry.
- Best for the smooth paw pads and cracked skin.
- This dog paw balm treats rough skin and comforts it by moisturizing.
- It contains natural ingredients like hemp seed oil, jojoba, chamomile, candelilla wax and rosemary that helps the paws to fully absorb in the time the dog is sleeping so helps in soft paws.
- It is absolutely made from pure vegan ingredients.
- Lack of synthetic fragrance, it does not irritate the dog making the application easy and smooth.
- It also provides you a warranty for three months.
- It is more expensive as compared to other dog paw balms.
- Many people claimed that the skin wasn’t able to absorb the balm and couldn’t help in moisturizing their pet’s paw.
6. Musher’s Secret Paw Protection Wax
"A non-toxic way to protect your dog's paws"
Musher’s secret is a 100% naturally produced food grade wax which really makes a layer to protect on your pets paws. This was initially created in Canada, since the weather in winter is very rough and dog’s have cracky paws . It is now used in many different conditions for year-round protection.
- This dog paw balm provides a layer to protect the dog’s paw.
- This is a wax that is not greasy or oily.
- It contains so synthetic smells.
- It works best for hot pavements, snow, salt, and iced roads.
- All the ingredients are natural and beeswax is used to make it a good moisturizer.
- Added with vitamin E, which also heals the paw pads quickly.
- You don’t even need a lot of wax to make sure the paw is moisturized.
- These are in forms of tin shaped boxes; they tend to break or get damaged easily which lets the balm to leak.
- It is not suitable for every skin type.
- It can often cause redness and itchy sensation
7. Bodhi Organic Paw Balm
"One of the best balms resulting in softness and smoothness"
This balm is made up of Herbal shea butter, Jojoba oil, beeswax, hemp seed oil & calendula extract, and our whole list of ingredients is purely organic. No additives or chemicals are used in our balm which eventually makes the paw pad soft and smooth.
- This dog paw balm satisfies the pet by providing a thin layer of protection.
- It contains ingredients like jojoba oil and shea butter that makes the balm more soothing and adds softness to the affected area
- All the organic ingredients tend to completely assure that the balm is harmless and chemical-free.
- It’s very good for Hyperkeratosis.
- This is a certified product in the USA, that persuades the buyer to buy this dog paw balm.
- The balm is a little harder for the proper application. It should be softened a bit before use.
- The smell of this balm is not liked by the dogs.
It is important to have regular inspections of your dog’s paws especially after walks, take precautionary measures beforehand in case your dog visits an area with rough terrain and extreme weather. It is our duty as dog owners to ensure their safety is in good shape. It means that we must help them avoid paw diseases and illnesses of any kind. Personally, it would be just as important for me to say that a dog paw balm is as crucial as a dog shampoo. It is absolutely vital for your dog’s needs. If you need to make sure the dog’s paw is safe, you will need these dog paw balms.